Thursday, April 20, 2006

The highs and lows of my vacations

The Ford Explorer of my family after the car crash with the trailer truck.Between the 9th and 15th of April I was vacationing in the U.S.A, thus that explains the lack of posts for those days. Since this is a blog that I mantain all by myself there was no way of updating it while I was away. I already took to the task of updating the relevant information for the period in question and I will now resume regular posting. Thanks for your comprehension.

I also have to say that although I came back from my vacation on April 15th, that same day my family suffered a car accident coming back from Limon, where they spent their Semana Santa (Easter Week) vacations. I was just getting off the plane at Juan Santamaria International Airport when one of my aunts met me there and gave me the bad news.

Around 4 p.m. local time the Ford Explorer my stepfather was driving was hit by a trailer truck. Apparently the driver of the trailer was trying to avoid a pothole and invaded the opposite lane thus hitting my family's Explorer.

Miraculously, all members of my family (my mom, my stepfather and two younger brothers) survived the crash.

My stepfather was the one who got the worst part. He badly injured the c5 and c6 vertebrae and had two broken ribs. His right ear was partially cut and he may have suffered some jaw trauma.

My mom injured her right knee and also suffered cuts and bruises on her leg, hand and arms. My brothers suffered cuts and bruises, with one of them needing stitches on the forehead.

As bad as all this sounds it not as bad as it could have been and I can undoubtedly say that it's a miracle they're still alive after their SUV overturned and was completely wrecked in the crash.

On Monday my stepfather was flown to Cleveland, Ohio to have surgery on his back on Tuesday. Apparently at the surgery it all went ok and he is now recovering at the clinic. For the time being I'm taking care of my two younger brothers.

For all the family members reading this and that had not found out about the accident you can write or call me using the usual means to find out more. Thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

Uri Ridelman

No comments:

Related posts